When you hear “content creation,” do you think short-cut, dishonest, lazy or impersonal content marketing? Content curation is anything but that, and it is certainly much more than copying and pasting. It takes time and effort to curate content properly.
Beth Kanter defines content curation as the process of sorting through the vast amount of content on the Web and presenting it in a meaningful and organized way around a theme. The work involves sifting, sorting, arranging and publishing information.
To curate content for your blog is to simply find the best work from everywhere and share it with your audience. And it is possible to sift, sort, arrange and publish information for your blog without plagiarizing, too. Keep reading. The following 6 principles will help you curate content properly.
6 Principles to Keep in Mind to Curate Content Properly
Every blog post should include a link to a previous blog post you’ve written (only if it is relevant to the topic you are writing about). At least one link to a third-party article should be included as well. When you’re sharing content that is helpful, interesting and valuable to your audience, whether it is yours or someone else’s, they will see you as a vital resource and keep coming back for more.
- Navigate your website visitors to high-quality content. Don’t make them think about where to go or what to do. Make finding the information they need easy for them.
- Send your website visitors away to the best content. This sounds counter-productive, but readers frequent websites that share content from outside sources which is relevant to their business.
- Add value by improving and enhancing quality content with your expertise.
- Use a theme to organize curated content and establish why the content was collected to add context to your blog post.
- Attribute your sources, always. Attribution reinforces and qualifies your curation process. It also makes readers see you as the go-to source for valuable content.
- Balance your editorial mix. Create content around white-space topics. (More on white-space topics here)
Do you follow the principles necessary to properly curate content for your blog? Curate only the best, most share-worthy content tailored to your readers, and you’ll be recognized as a trustworthy and dependable specialist in your area. Your audience will trust you to know what you’re talking about.
Rockin’ Robin Virtual Assistance provides content marketing services to business professionals. If you’re a busy business professional and need help marketing your business to generate traffic and sales, call Rockin’ Robin at (307) 631-1867 today.
Sources sorted for this theme: CoSchedule